Opened within the Family Safety & Empowerment Center in April 2011, InterAct’s Solace Center is North Carolina’s first community-based sexual assault forensic examination center.
The Solace Center provides:
- Expert nursing care and forensic evidence collection in a private, confidential and safe location.
- Survivors of rape and sexual assault with the opportunity to access support services from a trained InterAct advocate.
- Collection of forensic evidence that can be used to prosecute rape cases.
The Solace Center serves:
- Male and female rape and sexual assault survivors, ages 16 years and older.
- Survivors assaulted within the past 5 days (120 hours).
- Survivors with no injuries that require medical attention.
When a survivor arrives at The Solace Center, a survivor will receive support from a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE), and InterAct advocate and law enforcement if requested.
The SANE will meet with the survivor to explain the process and procedures including:
- Obtaining consent for examination
- Gathering client history
- Client interview
- Examination and evidence collection
- Discharge and follow up information